Thursday, October 23, 2008

Green Forest


This image was as study in negative painting. The idea is to first create a base wash of color with a loaded brush. The brush is loaded with lots of pigment and some water. Bringing in a variety of colors during this first wash can produce some exciting results but I chose to stick with a within the green family. I then threw a bit of salt into this wet layer and let dry. Once this layer is dry, I drew in some tree trunks and painted around the trunks. Essentially, painting in the negative spaces between the trunks. I used darker pigments during this process and less water than the first layer, but still somewhat wet. When this dried, I repeated the second step one more time. When all was dry, I brushed off the salt and ended up with this little gem!
10.5 x 4.5" Watercolor, $85.oo, unframed

No comments: