Wednesday, January 16, 2013

#14 is Done!

Kildeer    8 x 8"    $125
This little guy took me five attempts to get something I liked.  I had different compositions started and various painting techniques attempted but nothing was feeling right.  Finally, I settled on "drawing" the bird shape with the brush and water then adding pigment.  Initially, the entire body shape was painted in with a light brown.  Eventually, the whites of the bird's feathers were created by taking away pigment.  After that, I could go at it pretty easily.

The photo reference I worked from is one of my own, taken many years ago at the Monterey Bay Aquarium.

Getting tired of trying to keep up with the challenge but I have not lost interest.  You know what they say....you have to do something for at least three weeks before it becomes a habit.

No comments: