Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Painting 4

Winter Maples    8 x 8"    $125
Started this one last night and finished this evening.  It's from a photo I took at one of my favorite places, the Ipswich River Wildlife Sanctuary.  There's a lane of maple trees with a walking path and stonewall on one side and a field of grasses, wildflowers and bluebird houses on the other side.   It just might be my favorite spot on the sanctuary.

I've had this photo for some years now, always wanting to paint from it.  The day of the photo was a darker, more gray day but I wanted to show a more interesting sky.  For the sake of a clean composition I reduced the number of trees and details in the understory.  For colors I stuck to a mostly cool palette of Winsor Blue, Sepia, a cool red, and a warm yellow.  The scan isn't showing the color range on the  tree trunks.  This is one you have to see in person to really appreciate it.   I'll try to get a better scan in the coming days and repost.

1 comment:

Fay Terry said...

Hi Sandy, this is really nice, I love the peaceful feeling it gives me and the sky is lovely.